rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Former Assistant District Attorney - NYC; Criminal Defense Experience for 30+ years
3071004

detectives are looking for me right now regarding a robbery ...

Customer Question

detectives are looking for me right now regarding a robbery charge. they have me on servailence cameras from a grocery store, stealing a womans purse from a gracery cart. the 2 other guys i was with have already been arrested and i heard one is out for some reason and supposibly the other got 5 years. i have no priors and i recently left the state. im thinking i should turn myself in but i wanted to know how long i could get for this. it would be for los angeles county. and if i would be better of getting a lawyer or public defender.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.
Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will do my best to assist you. During the course of our interaction , I may need some additional information. Also, please keep in mind that when any of us at JA legal answers a question, we don't know what you, the customer, already knows about the issue unless we are told.

Robbery is a serious felony even though you have no record. The length of time for jail sentence if it is imposed
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to rvlaw's Post: that didn't answer anything
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.

Computer glitch ...didn't show the balance of the answer.

Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.

You need an attorney to try to reduce the charge and work toward a lower sentence or even probation

Below is a link to a directory we lawyers use to find highly qualified legal specialists in various fields. These lawyers are in the directory because they are rated as QUALIFIED by other lawyers in their field of expertise and geographic area. Look through the websites and call a few firms you feel are appropriate for your case.

http://www.martindale.com/criminal-law/s-california/Los-Angeles-law-firms.htm

rich

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to rvlaw's Post: what is the max time i could get with a lawyer and what is the min
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.

The sentence range for robbery is 2-9 years. The attorney will work to keep that on the low end.

rich

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to rvlaw's Post: so them probation is not an option
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.

Unlikely unless the charge is reduced with the help of a lawyer.

rich

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
what is the statue of limitations in this case.
Expert:  rvlaw replied 9 years ago.

Per CA criminal code.......3 years

801. Except as provided in Sections 799 and 800, prosecution for an
offense punishable by imprisonment in the state prison shall be
commenced within three years after commission of the offense.

(799 and 800 don't apply)

Rich