How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Reilly Your Own Question
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1805
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Jim Reilly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son did not stop when the cop attempted to pull himover.

Resolved Question:

My son did not stop when the cop attempted to pull himover. He went straight to his girlfriends house to give her the kids. When the cop pulled up to the house he informed him not to get out. He got out anyway and attempted to get his kids out the car. Whenhe went to get his kids out the car the officier called for back up and said he was resisting arrest. They locked him up and the nighbors ran to get the kids. They charged him with 3 misdemeanors and 2 criminal. te state is Md. He was released tonight on his own and given a trial date of Oct 6.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 9 years ago.
Your son definitely needs an attorney. If you and he cannot afford to hire one, he will be eligible for the public defender.

You are right, this was not a good thing to do. However, if he has no record, didn't drive crazy while refusing to stop and didn't fight with the cops when they finally arrested him, his attorney may be able to get the DA to reduce the charges and agree to a relatively light sentence. For example, because your son is in college, perhaps the DA to agree to some kind of community service instead of any jail time or fine.

Good luck with this. If I can provide any other information, let me know.
Jim Reilly and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you