How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118811
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a single mother of 2 (ages 8 and 10 now). got ...

This answer was rated:

I am a single mother of 2 (ages 8 and 10 now). got divorced in 2003 and intially did not ask for child support as I just wanted the divorce without a fight. In January 2006 I went back to court and the court ordered him to pay me $142 per week. He was also supposed to pay me over 5k for my interest in the land we had bought together... of which he never paid.   I collected around $400 from him for two months, then he stopped. While we were still married we had ad credit card on his account with a second card in my name. When we got divorced, I threw out the card. Then in 2006, I got a renewal in the mail for the card. I renewed it, don''t remember if I renewed it online or signed the app and sent it snail mail. I received cards back in both our names with a 13K limit. I was upset with him for not paying me child support, this is how I justified it. At any rate, the card now has a 10K balance and he found out about it and is threatening to turn me in. Can you please advise.
First, with regards XXXXX XXXXX money he owes you, you need to go back to the court that ordered support and file a Motion for Contempt against him. You can also go to the local Attorney General's Office Child Support Unit at to get the support and back support.

Second, as far as him turning you in, you techincally committed credit card fraud if you authorized an account with his name on it. However, as far as the money, if he sues you for the money, you can file a countersuit to offset the amount he owes you, but then you would be responsible (and still are responsible) for paying the credit card bill as it is not his. You should call the credit card company and seek to remove his name from the account and send them a letter stating that it is not his account and he is not responsible for the bill and you are the person solely liable for the bill. This should prevent any charges from being brought against you.

You should get an attorney to represent you and if you cannot afford one, contact the state bar and ask about the pro bono referral program.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you