Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience
9164795

Can a person who is not a lawyer obtain a copy of discovery

Can a person who is not a lawyer obtain a copy of discovery in a criminal case? If so,how can they go about doing this?

If you are a party to the case then you should get it. If not, then just ask the D.A. and/or the defense attorney in the case; or, go get the file in the court house - the criminal case file is a public record.

If you have your own civil case and this informationis needed, then subpoena it!

All the best,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I don't if I'm considered a party but he is my fiancee. Does that count? Is the discovery the same as the criminal docket which has the list of charges?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Sorry,I meant I don't know if I'm considered a party but he is my fiancee.

your fiancee is the person who is "charged" with the crime?!? I still think you ought to be able to get what you want by following the steps in my original response - certainly your fianceee is and you can just ask him to get what you want and show it to you.

Regards,