How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9364
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi,I was recently apprehended in Beaverton,OR for my FIRST ...

Resolved Question:

Hi,I was recently apprehended in Beaverton,OR for my FIRST DUI. Tomorrow morning I appear in court for my judgment. I am seeking advice on how I should present myself and what the recommended options would be with regards XXXXX XXXXX My BAC was recorded at 0.15. I was parked outside a grocery shop, getting ready to back out when the officer's intercepted me. A few people called 911 to report my suspected drunken behavior. I was described as "Dull" in the officer's citation report.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 years ago.
You should plead not guilty and see if you qualify for the lawyers from the public defender's office. If not you should at least talk to a lawyer in Oregon before doing anything other than pleading not guilty.

Even if you are guilty and want to plead guilty, it may be better to have a lawyer work out a plea bargain instead of just immediately pleading guilty and throwing yourself on the mercy of the court.

Plus, your lawyer needs to review the facts in order to advise you what to do.   This is not specific to Oregon, this is just general legal information. I hope this was helpful.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Given that my BAC was at .15 and people had called 911 about my driving, doesn't this implicate me as guilty (in the trial)? Can I get a plea bargain by pleading no contest? If I do not hire a lawyer how do I approach the court to make a plea bargain?
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 years ago.
Your lawyer will make the plea bargain if he can. It cannot hurt you to have a local lawyer or public defender discuss your case with you before you plead guilty. But it's your life and if you really want to plead guilty no one can stop you. I just think you should talk to a lawyer first. Even talking to the public defender for 5 minutes would be preferable to just pleading guilty without benefit of counsel.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your advice. I wanted to consult a lawyer but don't have time because my first court date is tomorrow...So, if I understood you correctly I cannot make a plea bargain myself, I need a lawyer to talk to either the officers or judge, right?
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 years ago.
You can try to talk to the DA before the hearing and ask but usually you would talk with the public defender and he or she would talk to the DA about possible sentence following a plea. If you have no lawyer you have to plead the case yourself but it is very risky and you have a right to counsel. Try to call the public defender's office before you have to go to court, hopefully one of their attorneys can speak with you before your case is called.
N Cal Attorney and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions