Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

After compleeting probation and paid all ...

Customer Question
After compleeting probation and paid...
After compleeting probation and paid all restitution, is it possible to terminate or vacate the case as a first time ofender?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/2/2008
Criminal Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer

You would petition for an expungment of your criminal record or to have the record sealed.

Generally, only cases where you have been found "Not Guilty", or where the charges have been dismissed, or were dropped, can be expunged.

In cases where you have pled guilty, or nolo contendere (No Contest) or have been found guilty, but rather than a conviction you received an adjudication of guilt "withheld" you can apply to seal your Florida criminal record. However only if the adjudication of guilt was withheld and the offense is not one listed on the exceptions below, can your Florida criminal arrest record be sealed.

Crimes for which Florida criminal records cannot be sealed regardless if you received a "withhold of adjudication."

• Abuse of elderly person or disabled adult, or aggravated abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult
  • Act of Domestic Violence
  • Act of Terrorism
  • Aggravated Assault
  • Aggravated Battery
  • Aircraft Piracy
  • Arson
  • Burglary of a dwelling
  • Carjacking
  • Child abuse or aggravated child abuse
  • Computer pornography (child related)
  • Drug Trafficking (Trafficking in Controlled Substances)
  • Giving/showing/transmitting/loaning obscene materials to a minor
  • Fraud
  • Homicide
  • Home invasion robbery
  • Illegal use of explosives
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
legaleagle
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer