Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My son was in a car that was stopped by police who

Customer Question
''could smell marijuana in the...
My son was in a car that was stopped by police who ''could smell marijuana in the car''. They removed everyone, searched each of them and then searched the car. They found a grinder in the car and suggested either someone owns it or the all own it. All were arrested, taken the police station and searched again. Apparently a small amount of cocaine was found in the sock of the car owner. Does my son now suddenly own 1/4 share of this grinder with a drug charge attached to it?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/2/2008
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 years ago
The police will have to prove he had actual or constructive possession of the illegal substances. As far as the grinder, they will have to prove he had knowledge of it being in the car or that he had some ownership of it. As far as the drugs in the other person's sock, it will be highly unlikely they will prove that charge on your son, since there is no way he could know what someone had in his sock.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX could smell marijuana but no use charges were made. If it were his grinder or drugs that is one thing but to just be there is another. I must admit, as a first time user, I was somewhat suspicious of your website so hopefully as we go forward that will wear.

Again,
Thanks.
To convict him of anything they need to prove he possessed it beyond a reasonable doubt. If they cannot prove his knowledge of the grinder even being in the car, their chances of proving beyond a reasonable doubt are slim.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer