Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How do I find out what my legal rights are if I am being ...

Customer Question
How do I find out...
How do I find out what my legal rights are if I am being accused of Child endangerment (14 counts). The officer spoke to me in my home. I was not recorded. There was no other officer present. He wrote down notes, that I was not shown, and told me he was writing down what I said. I was read my rights but not taken in. I was told that the D.A. would look at this and decide either to drop it, give me probation or go to trial for a sentence of 1 to 2 years. Do I need to get a copy of the report and seek legal advice?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/2/2008
Criminal Lawyer: JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer replied 9 years ago
JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer

You have the right to be represented by an attorney, whether or not you can afford it. You have the right to have your attorney present during questioning and you have the right not to answer any questions or speak to anyone about your case. You have the right to a trial by a jury of your peers to determine your guilt or innocence. You have many more rights that will be explained to you when you've retained an attorney.

Child endangerment is a serious crime that can have many serious consequences. You need to consult with a local criminal defense attorney before talking to anyone else and before doing anything else. This is important as it can effect your freedom, your finances, your record, and even your custodial relationship with your children. The implications are too far reaching to imagine and as these types of crimes are serious and their effects are long lasting.

You need a lawyer. Now. Don't wait.

Good luck.

________________________

I am not your attorney. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer