How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I find out what my legal rights are if I am being ...

Resolved Question:

How do I find out what my legal rights are if I am being accused of Child endangerment (14 counts). The officer spoke to me in my home. I was not recorded. There was no other officer present. He wrote down notes, that I was not shown, and told me he was writing down what I said. I was read my rights but not taken in. I was told that the D.A. would look at this and decide either to drop it, give me probation or go to trial for a sentence of 1 to 2 years. Do I need to get a copy of the report and seek legal advice?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 9 years ago.

You have the right to be represented by an attorney, whether or not you can afford it. You have the right to have your attorney present during questioning and you have the right not to answer any questions or speak to anyone about your case. You have the right to a trial by a jury of your peers to determine your guilt or innocence. You have many more rights that will be explained to you when you've retained an attorney.

Child endangerment is a serious crime that can have many serious consequences. You need to consult with a local criminal defense attorney before talking to anyone else and before doing anything else. This is important as it can effect your freedom, your finances, your record, and even your custodial relationship with your children. The implications are too far reaching to imagine and as these types of crimes are serious and their effects are long lasting.

You need a lawyer. Now. Don't wait.

Good luck.


I am not your attorney. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you