How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask romlawyer Your Own Question
romlawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1170
Experience:  JD, 75+ Trials, 1000s of cases, Licensed in PA
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
romlawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On May 25, 2008 I was arrested for having a dog in a truck

Customer Question

On May 25, 2008 I was arrested for having a dog in a truck without water (was never asked if I knew this was a law). Windows were left open for the dog. Was given a citation for $275.00 which I am going to court to fight. I believe with officer descretion I could have been given a warning. When female officer put cuffs on (too tight) I asked her several times to loosen, which she did not. 15 minutes later my sister finally got another female officer to loosen as my hands had turned purple. Officer that put me in the car stated "I'll try to make you more comfortable than you did that animal". I have since been unable to wear any of my rings since this occurred. I went to a doctor who put me on predisone to relieve inflamation. I called PD internal affairs but they concluded that officer acted properly. I am your basic "model citizen". Do I have grounds for a civil suit?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  romlawyer replied 9 years ago.

If the cuffs were put on too tight, and it was done by the police officer in malicious or improper way, yes you can sue in Federal Court...

You need a civil rights attorney... whether you have a case will have to do with the circumstances of the arrest, as well as how well you heal up....