N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

The other day I gave my friend a few hydrocodone pills ...

Customer Question

The other day I gave my friend a few hydrocodone pills since he said his back was hurting. I didn''t think anything of it. This is the first time I''ve ever done this and I''m scared what happens if I get caught?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 years ago.
You are not a drug dealer just because you had compassion for someone who was in pain. Technically you broke or at least fractured the law, but you are not likely to get arrested for such a minor crime. Do not do it again. I cannot advise you specifically about the laws in NY but I'm sure you broke one and are as I said technically guilty. But the NY police are very unlikely to get involved. If you did "get caught" you would be very unlikely to go to jail for this.
Any DA looking at this situation should have some sympathy for your desire to help alleviate someone's pain. I wouldn't worry about this.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to N Cal Attorney's Post: The only problem is I now found out that my friend lied about it and actually gave it to someone else as well. Like I said before, this isn't something I've done before and as a result of myself trying to help out my friend, I fear I may get into trouble for this. I found out this morning he lied to get the pills from me which makes me a little bit more wary of the situation. It is definitely not a situation I would ever place myself in again.
Definitely do not do it again, and do not trust that person again.