How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9364
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 77 year old mother has stopped eating, is bed ridden and ...

Resolved Question:

My 77 year old mother has stopped eating, is bed ridden and is refusing hospitalization. She does have dementia. Can I keep her home to die? She unfortunately has no living will but has always insisted on no life support. She is in pain but is using tylenol with codiene.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 years ago.
Call your local Hospice and ask them to come by so at least you will have a neutral witness as to what her condition is and what her expressed wishes are. And I'd ask her doctor to make one last house call and put her on stronger painkiller if she is in pain. Morphine is commonly used to relieve pain in terminal patients. Remember to keep her hydrated if she is willing to drink.

Competent adults have the right to refuse medical treatment.

As far as I know it is legal to die at home. We should all be so lucky.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Okay you say competent. She is aware of her surroundings but does have dementia. Do I as her POA face any charges for keeping her home?
Thank you for your time
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 years ago.
If she gave you a durable power of attorney to make health care decisions and instructed you to let her die at home, I think you have to honor her wishes. May I ask what State are you in?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Arizona and I have a general power of attorney but have witnesses to her wishes
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 years ago.
Then I think you should obey her wishes. I would still call either Hospice or an MD though, to get her stronger pain medication if she is in pain.

Is this the form she signed:
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes and thank you so much for your time and wishes on losing my mother. It has been a tough road.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 years ago.
Take care of yourself too.
N Cal Attorney and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you