How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Crimlawyer Your Own Question
Crimlawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 418
Experience:  J.D. magna cum laude, Clerk for Supreme Court of Alabama 2004-2005, practicing lawyer
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Crimlawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son and his girlfriend both aged 16 are being charged

This answer was rated:

my son and his girlfriend both aged 16 are being charged with statutory rape in California for having sex is there any thing her mother and i can do
How did this happen? In other words, why are they being charged?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the police where investigating her father and they asked her she told them yes her and her boyfriend was sexually active
This is a terrible situation for you in California. In California, the age of consent is 18 (where in most states it is 16) and there is no exception for sex between minors (where in most states, sex between minors is not a crime). I suggest two courses of action. If you can hire a lawyer, please do so. If you cannot afford one, then apply for a public defender immediately. Secondly, contact your local branch of the ACLU and tell them what is happening and see if they will intervene. www. aclu.or will be helpful.
Crimlawyer and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thank you for your advice