How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27549
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Former Texas resident has moved to another state. Has

Resolved Question:

Former Texas resident has moved to another state. Has a job and a residence in that state. Can probation be transferred to that state? Probationee has had permission to be out of state and complied with all probation rules
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 9 years ago.

Yes, the person on probation can file a motion to transfer his probation to another state. The motion will need to be heard infront of the Judge, who placed this person on probation. In the motion, it should state the reason, that the probation is being asked to be transferred ( i.e. job, family, school, etc). Another option may be to ask the court, to allow mail in probation. This may be another good option since the person on probation has demonstrated that they can comply with all the terms of the conditions, that were placed on them. If probation is transferred, the Texas probation office, will contact probation in the State where this person is moving. It would be best to have an address in the new State, so there is some indication of where the person will be located and a probation office can be selected that is close to them.

CrimDefense and 8 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you