Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

if a person is put into custody in a jail, what are

his phone call rights...
if a person is put into custody in a jail, what are his phone call rights
7/1/2008
A person has a right to make one phone call to contact an attorney or arrange for bail. After that, the phone privileges are based upon the jail policy and must be reasonable based upon the circumstances and the security of the jail. In other words, they do not have to allow you unlimited phone use, but they cannot completely deny you phone use, it is somewhere in the middle and they can restrict it to calls only to an attorney.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: so their first phone call is allowed only to contact a lawyer or arrange bail? They cannot call a personal contact until they get in the jail and then only if the jail allows them?
No, they can call a personal contact on their first phone call, but subsequent phone calls can be restricted based upon the policy. The inmate is not to be unduly restricted from contacting an attorney or arranging for bail, and if this is being done through a family member or friend, then they must allow the calls. By personal phone calls, I was referring to simply calling a friend to chat.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer