Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My neighbor came onto my property and accused me of taking ...

Customer Question
My neighbor came onto my...
My neighbor came onto my property and accused me of taking something that was already mine and on my property. He became physically and verbally agressive pushing me and butting me with his chest. He persisted until i hit him with a peice of pipe to defend myself. What are my rights and what are his rights?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/1/2008
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 years ago
He was tresspassing on your land, you had a right to ask him to leave. If he assaulted you on your property, then you had a right to defend yourself. Now, since he assaulted you without a weapon, you will need to justify why you chose to use a weapon to defend yourself because you may only use appropriate force to defend yourself from a physical attack. If he believed you had stolen something and you denied it, then he should have called the police, not assaulted you. You may both be charged, but if you have a legitimate reason for escalating the force you used to defend yourself, you could get your charges dismissed because he initiated the confrontation on your property.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer