Criminal Law

im in arizona, should police have taken pictures and

Customer Question
collected evidence for dv assault...
collected evidence for dv assault with minor injurys on dv case against two brothers... Read full answer
im in arizona, should police have taken pictures and collected evidence for dv assault with minor injurys on dv case against two brothers
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/18/2008
Criminal Lawyer: Michael Foley, Lawyer replied 11 years ago
Michael Foley
picture are commonly taken following a DV call in order to preserve evidence since cuts and bruises are temporary in nature. Even if the case gets dismissed (as is common in many DV situations), the evidence must be preserved just in case.
Michael Foley
Reply to Michael Foley's Post: can u please be more specific

I'll try:

In a common domestic violence case, there is a fight, punches are thrown, there are black eyes, scratches, cuts, etc. If the police respond, it is often a he said/she said situation, so photos are taken and investigation is done. IF charges are warranted, then an arrest is made, but since most DV victims don't want to testify, they want to forgive and forget, cases are often dismissed. Still, if multiple calls are made, then the police want to have a record of past complaints in case it gets worse - escalates to weapons, serious injury, etc.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My brother has been charged with simple battery family
My brother has been charged with simple battery family violence. His alcoholic wife falsely claimed he struck her. I know this to be completely false. He's in county jail facing time. How can I get th… read more
Clear Concise Advice
Clear Concise Advice
juris doctor
My son was offered a plea for a class 6 felony. At first I
My son was offered a plea for a class 6 felony. At first I thought it a good idea but now I'm having doubts and unsure if he should just go to trial. It's his first time ever being arrested or in trou… read more
I have a DV case against my child's father where he briefly
Second opinion] I have a DV case against my child's father where he briefly grabbed my throat and shoved me against the wall. Although I have physical evidence of assault, He's denying the claim and p… read more
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
retired,
Stop searching for answers—
My brother was arrested after being accused of assault and
My brother was arrested after being accused of assault and exposing himself with a minor child. There is no evidence and the mom claims that there was a video. The minor is/was coaxed by the mother to… read more
My brother in law who is a sgt. of the nypd, assaulted me.
my brother in law who is a sgt. of the nypd, assaulted me. Punched me in the eye and bruising on my arms. it started with my sister when she threw a book at me and i threw it back and she started hitt… read more
We had domestic violence in 08/2014 and my ex was arrested.
Hello, we had domestic violence in 08/2014 and my ex was arrested. I didnt provide any further information to the prosecutors and his case was dismissed. I wanted to see if I can reopen this case and … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My husband was arrested in CA and the police charged pc
My husband was arrested in CA for DV and the police charged pc 273.5. I received a letter from DA today and he was now charged pc 245(a)(4) I don't really understand the difference. What sentence is h… read more
Lawyer,
could you clarify what "ASSAULT-INTENT/RECKLESS/INJURE" indicates?
could you clarify what "ASSAULT-INTENT/RECKLESS/INJURE" indicates? The original charge was aggravated assault dv. Thank you!… read more
Attorney,
I called 911 to report a dispute between my husband and I.
I called 911 to report a dispute between my husband and I. I reported that I punched my husband in the arm in anger and that he then choked me. I grabbed a kithchen knife and told my husband to leave … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I was recently charge with assault family violence injury to
I was recently charge with assault family violence injury to a child started a 2nd degree felony and is now a misdemeanor class a. My wife has signed an affidavit of non prosecution and has talked to … read more
I have been wrongfully convicted of a domestic assault. I have
I have been wrongfully convicted of a domestic assault. I have piles of evidence proving I was the victim, however my lawyer would not enter any of it into court and now I have DV assault convictions … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I was hit by my husband last year feb 2009. Can I file charges
I was hit by my husband last year feb 2009. Can I file charges against him now . This is california. I was bruised .… read more
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
I was the victim of a assault 6-20-10, There were several fights
I was the victim of a assault 6-20-10, There were several fights that broke out after a party at a neighbors house 3 doors down,At the same time a domestic fight erupted behind that same residence, Th… read more
Attorney,
A friends 16 year old son got into a fight with his 19 year
A friend's 16 year old son got into a fight with his 19 year old girlfriend. He admitted to pushing and choking her. His mother kick her out and she keep arguing. She called the police and he then pun… read more
I just discovered that my daughter was raped by her father
I just discovered that my daughter was raped by her father when she was 10. She;s 15 now, is htere any recourse?… read more
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz
Attorney,
My son was arrested for a felony charge of 4th degree domestic
My son was arrested for a felony charge of 4th degree domestic violence, what does this entail?… read more
Dear Lawyer, I was assaulted(pushed then punched) and knocked
Dear Lawyer, I was assaulted(pushed then punched) and knocked out by a bartender in my/this case, there in audio evidence that proves it happened, police pictures, hospital cat scans done, chiropracto… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
what would the sentence for 2 counts of corpal injury to a
what would the sentence for 2 counts of corpal injury to a spouce, DV, and terrorist threats be in the state of California for a first time offender… read more
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly
Private Practice Attorney,