How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28342
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 12 year old son and his friend were charged with ...

Resolved Question:

My 12 year old son and his friend were charged with retail theft. My son is not the one who tried to steal the item (a pair of pants) but he was with him. We obviously have to appear in court, I have not been through anything like this before. What can I do to help my son and as far as I have read because he is under the age of 14 this should not go on his record. Is that correct?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 9 years ago.
Your son is a minor, so this will go on his juvenile record, if the charges are not dismissed. If your son did not take the item nor did he facilitate the theft, you may want to hire an attorney and fight the charges. There is no reason your son should be responsible for the action of another. If you do not take the case to trial, the Prosecutor on the case will give your son an offer, to resolve his case in court that day. You should also ask if the court offers a diversion program, which if successfully completed by your son, will allow the charges against him to be dismissed.
CrimDefense and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you