How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 year old daughter had a serious lack of judgment and ...

Resolved Question:

My 18 year old daughter had a serious lack of judgment and took a ring valued at 42.00, they are now charging her with a misdeamenor and $300 restitution. She is an honors student, has scholarship and is looking to go to college in the fall, she has never gotten into trouble at all. She is scared, they told her she would lose her scholarships and admission. I just found out this evening her court date is Wednesday, she was going to just pay and take the charges, is there anything we can do.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.

This is just a misdemeanor offense that the judge will likely remand or dismiss if she pays restitution and the fines. She may also be put on probation for a short period of time.

This offense will not cause her to lose scholarships or her admission. If she agrees to pay the money and fulfills her probation without incident, it is likely that the charge will be exponged (erased) from her file.

It may be worth the money to hire an attorney to work to keep this charge from going on her permanent record.

Roger and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions