How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cowgirl Lawyer Your Own Question
Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years, criminal defense, from misdemeanors to murder, trials and appeals.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Cowgirl Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I check to see if a criminal case was ...

Customer Question

How can I check to see if a criminal case was exsponged from 22 years ago?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 9 years ago.

Before I can adequately address your question, I need a bit more information.

1) What was the nature of the offense? Was it a misdemeanor, felony, or juvenile offense? What was the crime?

2) Was an expungement applied for?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Gloria Morris's Post: It was a felony conviction for grand theft and forgery. I was sentenced to 3 years probation and restitution. I later found out that the Judge who handed down the sentence was dismissed from the courts for some I guess illegal things he was doing and some of the cases he tried up until that point were expunged. I personally never applied for an expungment. I would like to know where exactly this charge stands on my record. I was 19 y/o then and I am now 41 and have not gotten in trouble since let alone I haven't even gotten a traffic violation within the last 8 years. I am studying for a degree in Criminal Justice and I want to clear my record so I can start applying for jobs when I graduate.
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 9 years ago.

To check on the status of your criminal record, you would need to contact theSuperior Court where you were convicted. If you still have the case number, you should supply that to the clerk. Otherwise, give them your name, date of birth, and as much of the case information as you are able. If your case was dealt with in any manner, the court should be able to tell you. You should ask for a copy of your orders of judgment and any subsequent filings in the case.

You may also request your criminal records information from the California State Department of Justice, Criminal Records Division. They are located at 4949 Broadway, First Floor Fingerprinting Office, Sacramento, California. Their phone number is (916)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>.

You were convicted of a felony and served probation time but did not go to prison, you may be eligible for an expungement. First you would need to file a petition to have your conviction reduced and dismissed. You would need to file a PC 17(b) petition to get the felony reduced, and PC 1203.4 petition for expungement.

The California Courts have a Self-Help Center with more information about how to go about attempting to clear your record.

Good luck to you!

Please ACCEPT. Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated!

Gloria Morris

Attorney at Law

Legal Disclaimer: The information I am providing you is for informational and research use only. You are paying me only for such information. The information is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. As the law is constantly changing, you are advised to consult with legal counsel in your area for specific information relevant to your situation.

Cowgirl Lawyer and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Gloria Morris's Post: I love this and you...thank you so much. If I need more advice I will definitely come looking for you. Have a great day!
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 9 years ago.
Well thank YOU! It's always a pleasure!