How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 15 year old son was detained & interrogated for ...

Customer Question

My 15 year old son was detained & interrogated for over 40 minutes before the detective even called me, then he said he was "bringing him home" when in fact, they were arresting him - the dectective told my son to sign a document saying he''d been read his rights, so he did - I went to the school (I was in the washroom when the call went to my voice mail) & was told my son wasn''t there. Almost 1 1/2 hours later, the dectives finally arrived with my son, said he helped rob a house, knew they were going to arrest him before questioning him but wanted to get a confession first. Wasn''t that all done illegally?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
A juvenile cannot be questioned or interrogated without a parent or an independent juvenile advocate present. You need to get a lawyer and fight the "confession" as being obtained illgeally as a violation of your son's rights. If you cannot afford an attorney legal aid or your state bar can provide you one at reduced cost or free of charge.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I can't afford an attorney, he's getting assigned counsel (it's $500 for "assigned counsel" here in Tacoma, no matter what) & I doubt that's going to do him much good, since they work for the courts, not the defendant.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
Call your legal aid society or your state bar association not court appointed counsel, both of those have pro bono projects that provide no cost counsel.