How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27549
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what is likely to happen if plead guilty

Customer Question

My son received a summons for open alcohole and drinking under age outside Yankee Stadium in New York. He was 18 at the time. Will he get a criminal record or just a fine.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 9 years ago.
If he resolves his case without a trial and takes a plea on the case, he will have this on his record. If this is his first offense, the court will most likely offer him a with-held adjudication / deferred adjudication, make him pay a fine and possible take an alcohol related class. However, being a first time offender, he should look into a Diversion Program, offered by the courts. If he completes the program, the charges against him could be dismissed. Normally, a diversion program requires that your son stays out of trouble for a set period of time ( no new charges) , do some community service, take an educational class and pay a fine. Once everything is done, the case will be dismissed and he will not have anything on his record.