How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118772
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i press charges against my soon to be Ex husband for tri

Resolved Question:

He called my son-in-law one weekend while I was away and actaully called Chris and asked for my passowrd. Of course he claimed he didn't know. And my daughter was told he asked too.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
Yes, you can press charges if he accessed your personal information by getting the password XXXXX the New Jersey Identity Theft Prevention Act. You will have to consult with your local attorney general's office for how to pursue your claim.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Can't i even charge him if he didn't access but tried and i have a signed note from my son-in-law and daughter. The fact that he even tried.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
There is a possibility that he could be charged with an attempted crime, which means that he attempted to commit identity theft. Again, your district attorney/attorney general would have the final say on whether or not they will prosecute such a charge.
Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you