Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

how long does the courts have to issue an indictment

Customer Question
i was arrested for sexaul...
i was arrested for sexaul assult back on jan.11 2008.i haven''t been to court.how long can the court hold my case before it goes to the grand jury
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/2/2008
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 years ago
The time between arrest and indictment can be quite long and at the discretion of the prosecutor in Texas. There are cases in Texas where it has been almost a year between arrest and actual indictment. It all depends on the DA and police putting evidence together and the DA deciding whether or not the case is even worth prosecuting. They have even had people sitting in jail that long awaiting the indictment.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
i was under the understanding that there was a time limit on indictments.how can the da just keep putting you off. what happen to jast and speedy trail.

Technically, Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, Article 32.01 prevents citizens from being left in jail or on bail for long periods of time without being indicted. The DA technically only has until the next grand jury seated after the arrest to seek and obtain an indictment, but this can be extended "for good cause shown." The reason I mentioned they had no real time limit is because the courts in Texas have adopted a "totality of the circumstances" test to determine whether or not the DA has shown good cause to delay the indictment. If you wish to move the process along, then you need to file with the court a Motion to Dismiss or in the alternative for Speedy Trial pursuant to Article 32.01 which will force the DA to explain why it is taking so long.

thank you for the answer .now i wonder as to way mt lawyer hasn't done this as yet.
i now have a court date but is for consultion. what is consultion
thank you

Consultation is for the attorneys to confer about moving the case. At this time you should ask your attorney about moving for a dismissal under the speedy trial act or at least asking for a speedy trial to get the process moving.

thank you one more question.the court of tarrent co. tx has placed me on what they call bond case load.i didn't use pretrial release i payed my on bonding co.i am not on parole or probation. i haven't been in front of no judge as of yet. and i have to report to a probation officer and submit a ua once a week and pay 60.00 dollars for fees.it is like i am already on probation and haven't made any court dates.is this a vilation of my civil rights under do process of the law.inocent till proven guily
thank you
They can place conditions such as that upon you as a condition for baill. This is why you need to make your motion under the Speedy Trial Act.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer