Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years, criminal defense, from misdemeanors to murder, trials and appeals.
9112957

my daughter is 20 years old while attending uw oshkosh,wi ...

Customer Question

my daughter is 20 years old while attending uw oshkosh,wi she recieved a dui plus a ticket driving while intoxicated. her bat was .16   her municipal court date is june 3rd, 2008. there was no accident. she drover her car into the campus parking lot, got out of her car, walked approx. 10 feet when the campus police approached her and asked if she was drinking, she was cooperative and said yes and at that time they did a sobriety test and she blew the .16 she was then arrested. should she plea guilty? I''m not trying to get her off any charges, however is it worth pleading not guilty and go to a trial where there is a chance for a pre-trial conference to lessen the charges or reduce points, She did recieve another underage drinking ticket after the above incident on a different date.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 9 years ago.
Hello Customer,

I can understand the stress. The consequences of a DUI conviction are quite severe. Your daughter is young, to have such a long legal nightmare ahead of her if she pleads guilty. A guilty plea in a DUI case is just the beginning of a very expensive process.

It is definitely worth having an attorney review your daughter's case before she makes a decision about pleading guilty versus going to trial. An attorney can look at the charges, the police report, the manner in which your daughter was apprehended, and the evidence surrounding her sobriety test. Sometimes these tests are inappropriately done, and sometimes the testing equipment is not properly maintained nor properly set up.

I would suggest that your daughter enter a not guilty plea when she goes to court. Then, I would suggest that she talk with an attorney.

Good luck to you!

Gloria Morris

Legal Disclaimer: The information I am providing you is for informational and research use only. You are paying me only for such information. The information is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. As the law is constantly changing, you are advised to consult with legal counsel in your area for specific information relevant to your situation.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If she was to plea not guilty on June 3rd and we chose not to hire an attorney, would the consequences on the next court date be worse?
Prosecutors will hold open a plea offer for a person who decides to take it at a later date. Therefore, your daughter has nothing to lose by talking to a criminal defense attorney. And, she may have a lot to gain.

Good luck to you!

Gloria Morris

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your response to the last question