How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CALawyer Your Own Question
CALawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1655
Experience:  Attorney at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CALawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was involved in an argument with a neighbor.

Resolved Question:

My daughter was involved in an argument with a neighbor. The neighbor made threatening statements to her and cursed at her. She told the neighbor to "f**k off". The neighbors wife called, police and signed a complaint against my daughter. I signed one against the cursing neighbor. Now we have to go to court. What is the likely outcome of this situation?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CALawyer replied 9 years ago.
Answered via Just Answer Chat.
Expert:  CALawyer replied 9 years ago.
Do you know whether there were any criminal charges actually filed against the daughter/neighbor?

Is this court date for restraining orders or criminal charges?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to CALawyer's Post: Was given a citation form to appear in court. No charges were filed, only complaints from myself and the neighbor. Police said the judge will decide whether criminal conduct applies. Also, my daughter has never been in trouble before. The neighbor has quite a history with police departments in this area (burglarly, minor thefts, and drugs)
Expert:  CALawyer replied 9 years ago.

A citation is like a traffic ticket. She will go to the court and she can either admit wrongdoing, or she can contest the citation. If she was found to have committed any crime she could be fined or given community service, or (depending on the nature of the crime) an anger management program or probation.

Given her history, it is unlikely that much will come of the citation. It might be a good idea to hire an attorney to represent her. Also, the facts you've stated (ie. that your daughter just said "F off"...) wouldn't typically be criminal. In order to be criminal, she would have probably had to make some sort of threat, threatening gestures, or physical contact.

It still would be a good idea to hire an attorney to represent her.

If this information was helpful, please click ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved. If you need any clarification, just post a reply. Thanks!
CALawyer and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you