How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mr. Lofton Your Own Question
Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1291
Experience:  25 years experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Mr. Lofton is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

NYC supreme court-criminal division Question If ...

Resolved Question:

NYC supreme court-criminal division: Question: If a defendant appears in an open court and accepts a plea worked out by both attorney & D.A. & now judge wants to go back on her promise at sentencing how can one fight this injustice. judge feels "duped" by incident in open court where defendant started shaking, released on his own recognize, hauled back 1 day later on bench warrant and judge mocked his shaking to another attorney and D.A. Attorney has not filed Habeaus Corpus. Help!
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 9 years ago.

Yiou can certainly file formal complaint to the committee on judicial conduct - you can also ask the judge to "recuse" herself, meaning that she voluntarily withdraws from the case and a new judge gets assigned - I would do that as well. It is quite appalling.

Usually, when the defendant and D.A. work out a plea with an agreed sentence, the judge is not required to go along, but if she does not she then allows the defendant to change the plea back to not guilty.

If I were you, I would report thejudge and file a motion to have her "recuse" herself.

Best wishes,

Mr. Lofton and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you