How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J D Haas Your Own Question
J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 2998
Experience:  23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
J D Haas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I moved to rent a home from a friend. We ...

This answer was rated:

My husband and I moved to rent a home from a friend. We recently found black mold, unsafe electrical wires, no hot water, and no heat in most of the house. I told the owner and he replied that I could move out. So, in the middle of moving out, he told me, "if you move, I'll call immigration on your husband whose trying to adjust his illegal status." He told me this face to face, on emails, and voice mails. I feel like this is emotional blackmail. Can I press charges on him? He has been harassing me.
You may have a valid case against this person. This person may be guilty of blackmail under Ohio law. Threatening someone that you will release information about them unless they pay you money is illegal. Furthermore, renting the property in this condition is a safety issue and may violate local zoning and safety requirements.

In conclusion, yes you may go to the police and press charges against this person. Good luck, and I am sorry that you are in this situation.

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your

In the future, if you would like to specifically ask me a question,
you can ask for me in the body of the question.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.
J D Haas and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions