Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

ONE OF MY FRIENDS WAS CHARGED WITH PETTY THEFT , THE

Customer Question
ITEM WAS AROUNG $ 30.00...
ONE OF MY FRIENDS WAS CHARGED WITH PETTY THEFT , THE ITEM WAS AROUNG $ 30.00 , WAS BOOKED AND GIVEN A COURT DATE ..SHE HAS A SON OF 16 MONTHS AND THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME SHE HAS DONE THIS , WHAT KIND OF CHARGES CAN CHE FACE IN CALIFORNIA?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/2/2008
Criminal Lawyer: Law Girl, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

California is pretty tough on shoplifters, so this may seem extreme given you friend's situation. However, given the value of the item and the fact that she has not done this before, she could face: a small fine; 1 to 3 years informal probation; community service; and/or a misdemeanor charge.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

-KAT

Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
what does informal probation mean?

Where she would be given probation terms that she would need to abide by, but that it would not be as formal or as rigorous as a regular probation. It could be a more relaxed form of probation.

Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Law Girl
Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer