Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

A police officer enters on private property without a ...

Customer Question
A police officer enters on...
A police officer enters on private property without a search or arrest warrant and questions youths sitting in a car lawfully on the property, smells burnt marijuana, arrests them, searches and seizes the controlled substances which form the basis of their criminal charges. The prosecutor claims they do not have standing to object to its admission at trial. Is that evidence suppressable in Michigan?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/2/2008
Criminal Lawyer: J D Haas, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Yes. The crux of the issue is whether there was probable cause to enter the property. If the car is in a driveway next to the sidewalk, then you will have a hard time winning the motion; however, if the car is not in plain sight of the road or sidewalk, and the officer walks hundreds of feet to get to the car, then your chances of suppression are good. Please let me know if you have other questions.

I hope that I have helped you and that I have answered all of your questions. Please
ask more questions if I have not answered all of your questions.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information.
You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship, and I am not
responsible for your legal rights. The only way for us to be in an
attorney/client relationship is if you have signed a written retainer agreement
with my law firm.
J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
J D Haas
J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer