How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mr. Lofton Your Own Question
Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1291
Experience:  25 years experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Mr. Lofton is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My home was entered while I was out of town. They had ...

Resolved Question:

My home was entered while I was out of town. They had copied my keys or used a "bump key" to get in so there was not evidence of a breakin. My computer was hacked into by a computer expert on our townhome board of directors. I only know this intuitively. There is no hard evidence. My computer guy came out and "fixed" it so I am now very protected. Locks changed to Medeco. Old ones discarded. Can I file a police report? Police said things have to be missing.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 9 years ago.

You can and should file a police report - just go down there and get the form and fill it out and hand it to them, keep a copy - this should be documented for future reference!

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I called police dept and they said this is a civil matter. Is that true?
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 9 years ago.

Of course it could be a civil matter if you knew whom to sue; but breaking and etnering is also a criminal matter and you should make the police report - you want there to be a record of the event in the police department!


Mr. Lofton and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you