How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mr. Lofton Your Own Question
Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1291
Experience:  25 years experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Mr. Lofton is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I judgement was file and approved by the courts in a ...

Resolved Question:

I judgement was file and approved by the courts in a wrongful death suit. There has been no move to try and collect against the person since he was sent to jail. They have not even tried to collect anything thrugh his jobs in prison. Does this mean since the family has not tried to collect on the settlement in the past 17 years that they can still come in and access him when in comes out of pison or do they have a time frame they must move in to get any monies from hm.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 9 years ago.

In Pennsylvania a civil judgment is good for 20 years.


All the best,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Mr. Lofton's Post: Then just to make sure I am reading you correctly. The family has 20 years from the date of the court approved suit to move to collect from him and after that he is free and clear. What would happen if he does not return to Pennsylvania ? would this follow him where every he goes if he is released before the 20 years is up.
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 9 years ago.

He has to have some "assets" for them to recover - if they have a "judgment" then they have to get a court order to attach specific assets - it's up to them to track the assets down and attach them - if they can't find him or the assets they aren't going to collect!


Mr. Lofton and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you