J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Experience:  23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.
6118667

My on-site shredding competitor advertises complete

My on-site shredding competitor advertises complete destruction, unreadable, best security and shredded into 5/8" pieces. In reality their truck shreds large, misses large pieces and whole checks. The manufacturer of their truck admits their trucks miss whole checks and paper. This competitor also purchased a certification that they advertise as the most secure, in actuality a convicted criminal can become certified. The manufacturer also states people use their trucks because they shred fast, making more money. They admit inferior shred size, but that this is a profit generating business. Can civil or criminal action be taken against companies knowing misrepreseting the value of theri service (complete destruction while knowing it''s a lie)?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J D Haas replied 9 years ago.
Probably the best course of action is to have a customer hire them and then the customer will have proof of their fraudulent representations. The customer can contact consumer fraud of the PA Attorney General's office and file a complaint. If that doesn't work the consumer could file a consumer lawsuit against the company and if the consumer wins the consumer's attorney fees and 3x damages may be awarded. Those are my best thoughts other than the actions that you are already taking.

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your
questions.

In the future, if you would like to specifically ask me a question,
you can ask for me in the body of the question.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to J D Haas's Post: Isn't it unfair business practices to purposely lie and deceive in an attempt to upstage the competition? Do I personally have any recourse?
Expert:  J D Haas replied 9 years ago.
Yes you would. Your case, as a business competitor, would be more difficult to win than a consumer's case. The AG's office and others are more interested in helping consumers than they are in helping one business person at the expense of another, if you understand what I am saying.

questions.