rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Former Assistant District Attorney - NYC; Criminal Defense Experience for 30+ years
3071004

I was arrested for going 60 in aXXXXX In the state ...

I was arrested for going 60 in aXXXXX In the state of Connecticut, you must be going 61 to get arrested.  The officer is now calling us to bring in the promise to appear arrest ticket and wants to give us a speeding ticket.  Should I go to court instead and hope that the charges are dropped because it was not actually an arrest?

Go to court and move to have the arrest dismissed.

Rich

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to rvlaw's Post: I spoke with the officer last night and at first, he said that if I go to court, I will be tried and the fine will be worse. Later, when I said I was going to consult a lawyer, he said that he had never submitted the paperwork so the court won't be expecting us. The officer also has been very adamant about getting the actual summons ticket back to "cancel" the arrest. But I am confused because I thought that the paperwork was never submitted. He is constantly contradicting himself, and the court date is on Monday. Do you still think that I should go to the court? Can the officer fine me again for not turning in the summons to receive a ticket?

The guy's a jerk. He messed up and now he doesn't know how to handle it. Go Monday and move for dismissal. He can't MAKE YOU RETURN THE TICKET! That's insane. You could call the court to ask if it's on the calendar and if not ask what they want you to do. Depending on what they say...you can come back here and discuss. Just ask for me.

Rich

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I called the court and they said that I am not on the schedule, but I should appear anyway because the police might not have submitted the paperwork yet. I asked them what I should do, and they said they cannot speak on behalf of the police station, and that if the officer told me to come back in to get the ticket, that is what I should do. But of course, I do not want to do that, because if I go to court, it might be dismissed. Although, if he has not submitted the paperwork, can he still give me a ticket through the mail instead?

Go to court. The clerk isn't going to give you the straight story. You must fo in case he files the paperwork. Don't go to the police station. That's bogus. Try to dismiss it. If he follows up with a new ticket, use the prior dismissal to seek a dismissal of the second.

Leaving for a while. Please accept my answers? thanks.

Rich