Law Doctor
Law Doctor, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Represented clients in excess of 30,000 cases over 15 years.
8933101

someone i know got pulled over and used my name what

Customer Question

someone i know got pulled over and used my name what can i do about it? and is it fraud or identity theft?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Doctor replied 9 years ago.

DearCustomer

Yes, a person using your name to avoid getting a traffic ticket is committing the crime of fraud. If you are now being charged with this ticket, you will need to contact the clerk of court and/or the prosecutor's office and advise them of the issue. In all probability, you will need to complete an affidavit and supply any information about the person suspected of using your name. You will also need to possibly submit your fingerprints. You should also contact the state agency which handles driver licenses, so that the Agency can place a fraud alert on your license. Note that police will often make a driver submit a thumb print on the ticket when the driver fails to produce a drivers license. By comparing your fingerprints with the one taken from the suspect, plus your affidavit, should clear you of this nightmare.

I hope you are satisfied with this response. Please remember to click on the ACCEPT button. Any positive feedback you can report on me would be much appreciated, as well as any bonuses. Should you have any other questions, contact me. Good luck and God bless!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
when i talked to someone yesterday they told me that the only way that it can be concidered fraud is if they used my soc. number or some thing like that. and that anyone can use a name?