Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Are there any Maryland lawyers out there to answer my ...

Customer Question
Are there any Maryland lawyers...
Are there any Maryland lawyers out there to answer my question? I recently lost my right to drive in Virginia due to a reckless driving by speeding charge. It was an appeal. Now that I am suspended in Virginia, if I apply for a drivers license in MD and tell the truth on the application that I am suspended in another state i.e. Virginia, is there any hope that MD will approve and grant me driving privelages in their state? I know I''d have to move there and live and work there and not drive in Va until my suspension is lifted 6 months from now but I could still drive everywhere else legally right? What are my chances of being granted driving privelages in MD in spite of the suspension in Va?
Please, I only want answers from Maryland attorney's familiar with MVA only!
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/3/2008
Criminal Lawyer: Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official replied 9 years ago
Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official

Dear wolfrey2k2

When you apply for a MD license, the MVA will require a certified (letterhead) letter from the out of state MVA showing that license is in good standing - the following is an excerpt directly from the MD MVA website - HERE . Additionally, most MVA's are connected via a database showing driving records, etc - particularly contiguous states such as MD, VA, PA. via the Non-Resident Violators Compact (NRVC)

• New Maryland residents must obtain a Maryland Driver's License within 60 days of establishing Maryland residency.
  • An Out-of-State license may be valid or expired. If expired for 1 year or more, you are required to pass a knowledge and driver's skills test. If you do not have your Out-of-State license in your possession, you will need a letter of clearance from the licensing state.
  • The Out-of-State license cannot be suspended.
  • If licensed for less than 18 months, you will be issued a Maryland Provisional License.

Best to you in this matter,

Michelle, thanks but this is information I already have on hand and is easily accesable via the net by anyone.
The purpose of asking for 'professional' help is to get information or opinions that only a qualified and familiar (with Md. MVA in this case) can provide.
I appreciate your attempt to help but this is not what I am looking for. I thought I was clear on this.
MVA has a board of officials that I could perhaps meet with and explain my situation to and sway into approving me to drive in MD in spite of the fact that I am suspended in Va. for 6 months. They key issue here is I MUST be able to drive to support myself and keep my house and other property.
Now, do you have any opinions or facts to share with me in the area of interest?
Thanks!

Dear wolfrey2k2

Unfortunately, not. The law is the law - I don't make them, I just report them. You could try a hardship license - restricted to work. You can contact a the MVA and ask about an application for such - this is rarely granted in Maryland for otherwise law-abiding citizens. Unfortunately, MD is more amenable to giving illegal aliens licenses than someone who has created a documented risk on the roads of Maryland or another state. But other than that - when one's license is suspended there is not much that can be done. I understand you seem to want the magic wand, as I have reviewed all your questions. There isn't any. I am a professional in Maryland and would have given you that information, if it was available.

Best to you,

Thanks but this is unsatisfactory.....
Michelle
Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official