Michelle
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
3273316

hi, if i was to grow a small amount of canabis in my home ...

Customer Question

hi, if i was to grow a small amount of canabis in my home for personal use, what would be the consequences be if i get caught.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

DearCustomer/p>

In the UK, Cannabis was downgraded from a Class B to a Class C drug in January 2004. Despite the downgrading, cannabis is still illegal. The maximum sentence for possession is the same as other Class C drugs - simple possession carries a penalty of up to two years in prison or an unlimited fine (or both) - if they decide, regardless of the amount, that you were growing to share, you could be charged with intent to supply and dealing - they will take into account the amount of drugs and any criminal record - but if they want to push it there is a possible penalty of up to 5 years in prison and/or a possible fine unlimited and to be determined by the court.

Best to you,

If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle