How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mr. Lofton Your Own Question
Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1291
Experience:  25 years experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Mr. Lofton is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a mentaly ill person; also an alcoholic in ...

Customer Question

i am a mentaly ill person; also an alcoholic in recovery. Before recovery, I rented a car and turned it in to the same company in a different county late, all in pa. i couldn''t afford to pay the remainder due, and am now being charged with "theft of services. I am told the value owed is $3,000 (which is inflated substantuely) I am residing now in another county in which the offense is charged. A officer from that county in pa has told me that i must come in to that county and see a judge to be arraigned. I am on ssi for my mental illness and cannot afford to make the trip right now. What are my options to resolve this matter? can i be extradited from my current county for this offense? What is the grading of this offense? (I am on county parole 6 wks left, I was told by my po to contact an officer from the other county and was told there are NO current warrents; this dosen''t affect my current case. But the officer told me there is a warrent;I can be held here until they can get me
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 9 years ago.

This is very straightforXXXXX, XXXXX. Go to court or they will come and arrest you and bring you to court. The good news is that once you show up incourt the judge will appoint a lawyer to represent you and then your lawyer can deal with all the hassle this is causing you.

What I'm saying is that if you can't "afford" tomake the trip to court then the cops are going to give you a free trip, but it will be in handcuffs and you'll be in jail facing a bail hearing.

Do the smart thing, go over there on time and let them give you a lawyer.

Mr. Lofton and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX somehow get there. The officer says he will work with me on a date to get there, so i can just go befor ethe judge. He tells me he will recomend I get released ror, he also told my theripist that so i have a witness. Can I trust him on this that I will be released ror, or should I plan on being detained? I only ask this as I live in a place now that if i leave for more then 3 days I lose my residence. Before I pay my rent, should I just keep it on me instead when i go to court so I can have it for commisary if i am detained?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
my email addy [email protected] please advise me on my prev reply.
Expert:  Mr. Lofton replied 9 years ago.

Odds sound very good for release - speak to your landlord and let him know what's happening maybe give him 1/2 to hold until you get back.

Good luck