How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31684
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is on probation in the state of

This answer was rated:

My son is on probation in the state of Wisconsin for a period of 90 days for the intent to sell marijuana. Restricted to working, and going home in lieu of going to jail and wearing a monitor devise on his ankle. He was not to smoke marijuana or drink alcohol. Today he was caught at work smoking marijuana, was arrested and brought to jail. He was also fired from his job due to his actions. He was 30 days into his probation. We put a call into his probation officer, but received a voice message that she was on vacation with a secondary number where the office was closed. What can we expect to happen from here? Thank-you for a prompt reply.

If your son violated the terms of his probation, which using drugs certainly is, the court has the right to revoke his intense supervision (house arrest) and send him to jail for the full term of his original sentence. This is not always the case, and much depends on the recommendation of the probation officer. If this is his first conviction and first problem during probation, he may be given leniency. Nevertheless, count out the possibility that your son may be sentenced to serve the original term of plea bargain.

Please feel free to ask any follow-ups.

Roger and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Adam Kirk's Post: Would my son be entitled to legal council at any time? The sentence was given out in Manitowac County in Wisconsin with a transfer of "Huber" the monitoring devise to Outagamie County because of his job and residence being in Outagamie County. He was brought to Outagamie County Jail today but now they want to transfer my son to the Manitowac jail without any conversation with the probation officer. Yes, this is his first problem during probation and I want to be sure my son is treated properly.
Yor son has the right to counsel. I assume he had an attorney for the initial arraignment and subsequent pleading procedures. You should be able to meet with the same attorney. He will be sent back to Manitowac County for the probation violation hearing. If he is sentenced to serve time in jail, he should be able to serve it in your hometown instead of another county. To ensure your son is treated fairly, I urge you to get his attorney involved ASAP.
Roger and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your advise. I have a phone conference scheduled for tomorrow morning with our attorney. My son is in Manatowac County jail and was told this needed to be for 60 days by the Outagamie Sheriff. The probation officer recommended 30 I will attempt to have my attorney get a reduced sentence for my sone.
Appreciate your service.
Good Luck. I wish you and your son the best.

Related Criminal Law Questions