How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jamest Your Own Question
jamest, Private Investigator
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 372
Experience:  Investigator of criminal law cases, especially Florida law. Work with retailers, others, consultant
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
jamest is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was 18 the girl was17. i went to jail on a sat rape ...

Resolved Question:

i was 18 the girl was17. i went to jail on a sat rape charge this was in 1961.i thought that i was a minor then you could not vote or enter in to a legal contract or drink wouldnt that make me a minor also and not a adult. and will that still stop me from buying a gun. thanks
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  jamest replied 9 years ago.
Well in 1961 at 18 in most states the legal voting age was 21, the legal drinking age in most states was 18, and at 18 you could enter a contract. All that really does not matter. The courts have granted the legislature extreme latitude in these cases and if the wording of the law was 18 or minor and that is how the law read, it's valid. Courts have upheld a conviction for a 16 year old males for statutory rape if a 17 year old female.

Weather or not you can buy a gun depends on if the crime was a felony, if it was a felony no you can not own a gun. You can apply to the state to have the right restored, Oregon is not a very gun friendly state, but your conviction is very old, you can apply to the governors office, they may or may not act on it. I can refer you to an attorney who may be able to help.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the crime was in wisconson and i was in the army.the army did not fight it.
Expert:  jamest replied 9 years ago.
You were convicted in civilian or military court?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
civilian court general dischard from service1year in jail.
Expert:  jamest replied 9 years ago.
Ok assuming it was a felony, you would need executive clemency from wisconsin. Here is a link to a page that will give you all the information about elegebility and the process. see:
Wisconsin clemency
jamest and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you