How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michelle Your Own Question
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4136
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michelle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband who lives in Tampa, FL, just got a paper from a ...

This answer was rated:

my husband who lives in Tampa, FL, just got a paper from a court in Palestine Texas informing him to call the judge and that there is a warrant for his arrest. my husband called and the judge (small town apparently) informed him its about a ticket issued in August, 1995 which was for $74.00. This postcard he got today was the first he saw about this ticket. My husband used to work for a trucking company back then in 1995, he doesnt remember the ticket. If he ever got one we paid it right away. I dont have banking records from 1995 to prove this what can he do. Can they do this. This judge told him that now the ticket is $411.00. We dont have a copy of the ticket, we dont even know what its for. What do we do about this. We live in Tampa Florida


You should be a little suspicious - I do not know of any warrants that are issued for traffic citations - unless it is a hit and run or something criminal attached. I suggest, that you contact your local sheriff and ask them to check and see if there is a warrant. It would be on a national database. If there is no warrant, then I would have the sheriff do an investigation as to where this postcard originated.

If it is legitimate, then I would call the court and ask them to fax or mail you a copy of the citation because you have no recollection of such a citation and you have a right to see it before you send payment - if you get the citation, then you could try to negoiate some type of settlement on the balance due.

In my opinion, this sounds as if it could be a scam and I suggest you proceed with caution.

Best to you and your husband,


If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle


Michelle and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you