LawEnforcement4you
LawEnforcement4you, Policeperson
Experience:  Police Officer – 22 yrs., Chief of Police – 5 yrs., Accident Reconstruction Specialist
8845463

My 21 year old son was arrested for driving a boat under ...

Customer Question

My 21 year old son was arrested for driving a boat under the inflience. Does this carry the same offense for operating acar
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawEnforcement4you replied 9 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Alabama boating laws have specific charges and penalties for boating under the influence of alcohol. To be under the influence one must:

1) Be in control of the boat

2) Have a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% or more

3) Is under the influence of alcohol or alcohol and any controlled substance

The penalties for anyone arrested and convicted of boating under the influence are:

On the first offense, a fine up to $2,100 and/or sentence of one year in jail, and suspension of his or her operator's certification for 90 days

On the second offense, a fine up to $5,100 and/or sentence of up to one year in jail with a mandatory sentence of not less than 5 days or community service for not less than 30 days, and suspension of his or her operator's certification for one year

On the third offense, a fine up to $10,100 and/or sentence of up to 1 year in jail with a mandatory sentence of not less than 60 days, and suspension of his or her operator's certification for three years.

I hope this helped.

Good Luck,

LEF4U