How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michelle Your Own Question
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4136
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michelle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear Customer

A communtation of sentence needs to come from the Governor - and the process begins with the Florida Parole Commission. Keep in mind, a Commutation of Sentence may adjust an applicant's penalty to one less severe but does not restore any civil rights, and it does not restore the authority to own, possess, or use firearms - this is not a pardon or clemency. You also can get those via the Governor's office and process also begins with the Parole Commission

You can contact them by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNN-

Best to you in this matter,



Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michelle's Post: WHICH IS BETTER?
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear Customer

A commutation of sentence is usually sought while someone is still incarcerated to reduce a sentence, such as life without parole so that they can be eligible for parole or a death sentence to life without parole. Or a 70 year sentence commuted to 40 so they can be eligible for a parole hearing while still alive.

A pardon is sought once out of prison and will restore civil rights if a full pardon is granted.

None of these processess happen overnight. They involve an application/petition to be filed with the Parole Commission and then an investigation into the person's crime, background, etc. There is usually a list and it could take up to 1.5 years to even get an investigation going. And, of course, there are no guarantees that a commutation or pardon would be granted. But well worth the effort on the chance it would be.


Related Criminal Law Questions