How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawEnforcement4you Your Own Question
LawEnforcement4you, Policeperson
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 45
Experience:  Police Officer – 22 yrs., Chief of Police – 5 yrs., Accident Reconstruction Specialist
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawEnforcement4you is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in jail for burgalry.I have no details.I assume

This answer was rated:

My son is in jail for burgalry.I have no details.I assume he was sleeping in a vacant house as he is homeless and mentally ill.His hearing is monday.What is the time to be served?He may have stolen liquor.He has many prior drunk in public.Those may have been dropped by now.

Hello Grandmakrrie,

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Burglary into an un-inhabited dwelling house is a second-degree burglary in California, and is punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison. Penal code Chapter 2 Section 461.

After a conviction on a criminal offense a judge in California may decide based on the evidence if a person is of diminished capacity or of a mental disorder. The judge then may at the time of sentencing issue another disposition or commitment.

While he is being held for trial you might want to have him evaluated and attempt an involuntary commitment for mental illness. Grandmakrrie

Hope this answers your question.







LawEnforcement4you and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you