How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jamest Your Own Question
jamest, Private Investigator
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 372
Experience:  Investigator of criminal law cases, especially Florida law. Work with retailers, others, consultant
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
jamest is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Shoplifting in New Hampshire

Resolved Question:

Shoplifting in New Hampshire
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  jamest replied 9 years ago.
what is it you want to know?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Well I have recently been arrested for shop lifting at a Market Basket, for taking some wine and some mints. Being that I am 20 years of age and have no other offenses under my name. What are the odds of me getting disorderly conduct vs. a shoplifting charge? And Also what is my best case scenario/worst.
Expert:  jamest replied 9 years ago.
Well I am going to assume the wine was not dom prig or however it's spelled,or some other $500 bottles wine, so I will assume the total amount of goods which you stole or attempted to steal are valued at less than $500. If less than $500 New Hampshire law makes this theft a misdemeanor. Theft should be the proper charge, I do not see why it would be reclassified as disorderly conduct. the maximum sentence is one year. Realistically as a first time offender you can expect probation, fine, an order of restitution, possible substance abuse evaluation since the crime involved the theft or attempted theft of alcohol, if such evaluation determines you need treatment you may be required to do so as part of the probation. Jail time for a first offense of misdemeanor theft is not common, so i think the best thing to do is to talk to you public defender, take responsibility, and as long as you comply with the courts orders and commit no further crimes, you should be ok.
jamest and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you