How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask 4ren6 Your Own Question
4ren6, Forensics/Criminal Investigation
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4794
Experience:  Over 20 years of Law Enforcement. Sworn expert witness in Criminal and Civil Law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
4ren6 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a felony charge in GA for forgery in 1999. I also

This answer was rated:

I have a felony charge in GA for forgery in 1999. I also have a first offender for a burglary in 1980. I am trying to find out if I can get my rights to own a firearm reinstated. I have had my voter''s rights reinstated. What are my next steps?
are both of these in Georgia.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: Yes, both were in GA. First offender in Roswell, GA. Forgery was in Marietta, GA
you need to file for expungement of records.

The below is taken from the GBI website.
What is a Local Record Expungement?
O.C.G.A. § 35-3-37(d) (1) allows for the expungement of arrest charges by a local law enforcement agency when certain conditions are met (as outlined in this statute). If approved by the local arresting agency, and the appropriate prosecutor, the arrest cycle is sealed on the Georgia criminal history report by GCIC. Access to that arrest information is restricted to criminal justice agencies only. The arrest is expunged in its entirety from the FBI criminal history record.

Instructions are towards the bottom.,2096,67862954_67866875,00.html
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to 4ren6's Post: To have an expugngement in GA, "a court disposition of guilty or not guilty is not eligible for expungement". Since I plead guilty to the forgery I am not eligible for expungement. Is that the only way to reinstate my right to bare arms in GA?
Yes, either that or a pardon by the governor...........these are the only two ways.
4ren6 and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you