How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Moe Manser Your Own Question
Moe Manser
Moe Manser, Paralegal
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 162
Experience:  President of U.S. Legal Research Corp., over 15 years of assisting lawyers nationwide. Federal/State
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Moe Manser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got caught with 5 1/2 grams of cocaine in two bags.

Resolved Question:

I got caught with 5 1/2 grams of cocaine in two bags. I have no record want so ever. I''ve been at the same job for 9 yrs. I have tried to asssist the police department in any means nessacary. Now my time has come, my case is going to the grand jury and i have no idea what the outcome might be. I need some legal advice to know what i should do next.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Moe Manser replied 9 years ago.

Your case will be brought to the grand jury for indictment. If the jury finds sufficient evidence to indicate. You will be indicted and charged. Then you will go through the judicial process, which includes an arraignment, pre-trial conference and the final step which is the trial itself. Bear in mind you will receive plea offers from the prosecutor during the this time. The prosecution will present you with a plea offer, the amount of this offer depends on many factors, nature of the crime, amount of drugs, criminal record. It could range from probation to jail time. But as you stated you have offered to assist the police, this might keep you out of jail. If the police believe that you have information which can assist them in the prosecution of other drug dealers, they might cut you an offer in exchange for you information and testimony.

Good Luck !!


Customer: replied 9 years ago.

I have tried to cooperate with the police. As in, they have asked me, if i knew anybody that had cocaine and dealt it. But my efforts have gotten me no where because i am unable to provide them with anybody. I have tried repeatedly and always cooperate with {the police}.

During the process of being pulled over, people that I have dealt with in the past, saw me or have heard of me getting pulled over will not associate with me, because they know of this. So, I am not familiar with the law today. So, please give me your best judgement or anything that can help a young man who does not deserve this. When i go to trial should i use a court appointed attorney or should i hire my own? Which do you think is best???

PLEASE ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expert:  Moe Manser replied 9 years ago.

If you can afford an attorney go for it, if you can't there are some good public defenders, who are qualified to represent you in court. Obviously since this is your first offense, with no priors, and since you were not charged with distribution, a good attorney might be able to get you a plea offer with no jail time. I would first recommend that you first go with a public defender ( court appointed attorney ) If he can't negotiate a good plea offer, which can keep you out of jail, try to collect money from family and friends and retain a private attorney. Most likely first time offenders on possession charges, usually receive probation, but again their is no guarantees.

Good Luck!!


Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Is it better to say i have a problem with it and get drug court. Or I could say the truth which is that a couple of friends all got together and wanted it and that is why i had that much. which is better pleading for drug court or fighting it:?

Expert:  Moe Manser replied 9 years ago.

I am afraid I can't advice you on that. Only your lawyer can give you this advice based on the evidence.


Moe Manser and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you