How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michelle Your Own Question
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4136
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michelle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Illinois. My 20 yer old daughter was caught for ...

Resolved Question:

I live in Illinois. My 20 yer old daughter was caught for retail theft of $350.+ and has been chared with a class 3 felony. What does this mean? What can she do?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear sulvialandreth

Is this a first offense? Please provide the information so I may accurately assist you.

Thank you ~ M

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michelle's Post: Yes this is her first offense.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear sylvia

The possible penatly upon conviction includes incarceration of two to five years. Because this is a first offense, it might be possible to work something out with the prosecutor's office for some type of fine and probation. However, my rule of thumb is whenever there is a possibility of jail time I suggest a consultation with a local attorney to help protect all rights -

Your daughter might qualify for the public defender - and I suggest she look into that. If not, she can contact the Illinois Bar Association for a referral where consults are minimal.

Best to you and your daughter in this matter,


If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Michelle and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you