How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J D Haas Your Own Question
J D Haas
J D Haas, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 2998
Experience:  23 years as a trial lawyer with experience in criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
J D Haas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Suppose I enter into a month to month rental contract with ...

Resolved Question:

Suppose I enter into a month to month rental contract with a divorced woman to rent my one bedroom house smaller than a two car garage. After a month she moves in a boyfriend and three school aged children. I advise the man on two ocasions that he cannot stay there. He advises my tenant both times. They refuse to move. I contact the sheriff twice. I am advised to file an eviction notice. Did the deputies act correctly or were these unauthorized guests trespassers?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J D Haas replied 9 years ago.
The deputies acted correctly. The police do not need to investigate tenants, their leases, etc. to determine who can stay at a residence legally and who cannot. The police can wait for an eviction order in order to evict people; otherwise, the police may have liability. I am sorry.

I hope that I have helped you, answered all of your questions,
and that I have provided you with useful information.
Please ask more questions if I have not answered all of your

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice,
it is merely information. The only way that I am legally
responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed
a written retainer agreement with my law firm.
J D Haas and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions