How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michelle Your Own Question
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4136
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michelle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was beat in 2003 trial was held after the person admited ...

Customer Question

i was beat in 2003 trial was held after the person admited to beating me and straingling me with a telephone coard in the times aurgst jan/8/2006 and the person went on excape in novber 15 2006 the person thrughtent my sons life and mine their was no new charges brought agunst the person what can i do about it
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear btiton

Did the threats occur while he was on escape? Was there a protection order at that time? Has he since been returned to incarceration?

Please provide the information so I may assist you better,

Thanks ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Michelle's Post: yes the threat was made when he was on excape
and yes they cought him but they did not charge
him with threating me and my son who was three at the time far as i know their is a court conditions of relese from 2003 when he beat me at the time he made the threat i got a relif from abuse on him and when i went to renew it i was denied
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear btitlon

I suggest that you get into contact with some domestic violence groups in your area - and seek assistance from them. You want to make sure that the no contact is still in place - and while you cannot do anything to have him charged with what happened while he was on escape - you can have these victim advocates in your corner and ready to roll should something like this happen in the future. The advocates also will be able to work with you to make sure that the No Contact is still in place or that another gets placed - even if you do not have a court-ordered restraining order you can insist on having a no contact placed on him upon his release from incarceration. Additionally, if he is ever eligible for Parole you are allowed to attend and give an impact statement - or if you are not comfortable with that, you can write a letter to the Parole Board stating why you do not want him to be paroled. Again the domestic violence group can assist you with this.

Your local YWCA or YMCA would be able to help you with locating these groups as should the victim/witness unit of the prosecutor's office.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
their is a no contact order through his probation officer it states the same thing that
the restrainging order did so is that just as good as a RFA I AM STILL TALKING TO SOME ONE ABOUT APPELING THE RELIFE FROM ABUSE THAT WAS DENIED
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear btiton

You need to make sure that the No Contact stays in place - many times, it needs to be reissued as it does not just carry over - so be sure to check on that. It needs to be issued to him and he needs to view it and should actually sign it, too. But if he does not want to sign it then it can be noted that he was presented with it and that he denied to sign it.

This must be a very stressful time for you. I do hope that you will take my suggestion of seeking a women's victim's advocacy group for support. They will make sure that you have contact numbers so that can be there for you.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
you ancer was not helpful at all because i have ben doing the things that you have sujested all ready i am not geting any ware with it at all i guse criminals have all the rights in the wourld
victums have no rights at all witch that is not fair if that was me that did that i would be seting in jail and not walking the streets
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.

Dear btitlon

That is fine - you do not need to accept any answer that you feel is not beneficial for you - However, I do suggest once again that you contact a domestic violence advocacy group in your local area - I would suggest they would disagree with you on victim's rights as they have been "fighting" long and hard and continue the fight to have domestic victims' rights in the forefront. I am certain if you contacted these groups, you would have the solid support you need at this time and in the future - and there is no COST to you to have them behind you.

At any rate, best of success to you

Thanks ~ Michelle

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have kette andrews from victums advicate at probation and prol and when this all happened their was a no contact order that he can not have any contact at all with me and it said that he could not harase me or put me or my son in danger
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Michelle thank you for your time and feed back sorry to wast your time and efferet .