How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michelle Your Own Question
Michelle, Elected/Appointed Official
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4136
Experience:  30 + yrs in the legal profession incl. criminal, family, politics, legislator judiciary 6 yrs
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michelle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Simply put Daughter and future son-in-law work for ...

Resolved Question:

Simply put: Daughter and future son-in-law work for family business, both recovering addicts but fell back into the habit, stole bottom of the pile payroll checks, wrote around $50,000.00. When first discovered my husband and myself put the money back and laid down some ground rules. The other partner agreed with our plan. Never balanced payroll account because acct. used only for payroll and taxes, pretty simple account. Discoverd at company''s year end accounting. It seemed like things were going well until another $10,000.00 was taken for the general acct. The future son-in-law broke into the office and took checks. Needless to say neither work at the company, and both are now in a rehab center. The bank will not press charges because to much time has passed. Insurance company might do the same. Can we, not the company, press charges and what legal issues would they get.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 years ago.


This is a terrible situation for you - I know you are aching for your daughter

You can file charges for theft and even robbery, if the BF did break into the building to get the checks. The statute of limitations would begin when the crime is first recognized so you could file on the most recent crime.

Theft charges of items valued at over $2000 are Felony 3 charges with maximum penalty 7 years in prison.

The robbery charge is also a Felony 3 carrying the max of 7 years incarceration.

Best to you and much success for your daughter's recovery.


If my answer has been helpful, please ACCEPT my answer so I get credit for my effort to help you . If I can be of further help, let me know. Appropriate FEEDBACK is appreciated as is a bonus. Thanks ~ Michelle

Michelle and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you